Hale and Hearty Soups

When you hear “lunch food,” what do you think of? My guess is that 80% of you will think of sandwiches, and then maybe the other 20% will think soup or salad. Either way it proves my point, because Hale and Hearty Soups specializes in each of those three things and therefore has lunch down pat.

The idea is simple–provide hearty, high-quality soups, salads, and sandwiches to the hungry and busy New York City folk. The restaurant chain has a kitchen in Brooklyn where they make their soup fresh as well as salad dressings from scratch in small batches.

IMG_3812Hale and Hearty offers six classic, “Everyday” soups that are available, well, every day! These are Chicken Vegetable with Couscous or Noodles, Cream of Tomato with Chicken & Orzo, Ten Vegetable, Three Lentil Chili, Tomato Basil with Rice, and Tuscan White Bean. Besides these, the other soups change day to day and are always a wide variety of fun options. For example there’s been Crab & Corn Chowder, Holiday Pumpkin Bisque, and Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya. Yum! Their sandwiches are made with locally baked, artisanal breads and range from things like Black Forest Ham & Swiss to Turkey with Mango Corn Chutney Wrap. They also do a Chef Series every year where they collaborate with acclaimed New York City chefs who each create a unique soup that’s offered for a limited time in all of their locations. And 10% of all proceeds from this program goes to charity.

Every time I’ve eaten at Hale and Hearty, I’ve done the half sandwich and small soup combo, which really, let’s just agree here, is one of life’s best food combinations. The most recent time around I ordered the Grilled Portabella and Brie Sandwich and Shrimp Bisque. I must say that I’ve always been more impressed with the soups rather than the sandwiches. Maybe I’m just more of a soup person? So warm, so comforting. And there’s always a new one here to try!

If you’re ever stumped on where to go for a reasonably-priced lunch, check out Hale and Hearty. There are tons of locations all over the city, so it shouldn’t be hard to find one. I mean really…there are 30 locations in Manhattan alone. Lunch-goers rejoice!

Grilled portabella and brie sandwich, shrimp bisque

11 E 17th St
New York, NY 10011

(multiple locations)

Advertisements

One thought on “Hale and Hearty Soups

  1. Pingback: Schnippers Quality Kitchen | chowdown city

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s